The Greater Victoria School District is proud to offer all teachers and students a district-managed G-Suite for Education account. Please see the pages on the left for more information about general information, privacy information, consent process, and frequently asked questions.
Why G-Suite for Education?
There are many benefits of using G-Suite for Education:
- Equitable access to the best tools available for collaboration and communication across various technology tools available in the classroom
- Access to tools for teachers that help offer differentiated learning for inclusive classroom learning
- Efficiency and workflow for collaboration and sharing of learning
- Powerful connecting for students and educators together to work on projects
- G-Suite is offered to educational institutions at no cost
- Accounts are accessible from any device, in any location, so long as an internet connection is available
- Having work online reduces paper use and waste and streamlines workflow and helps students keep organized
- Education accounts have unlimited storage capacity in Google Drive, and offer access to tools such as Google Classroom, which are unavailable to public/regular Google accounts
- Additional sharing settings within the Education domain means safer access to shared files and work
- Find out more at G-Suite for Education Website
What are the settings in G-Suite for students?
|Students (Grade K-8)||Students (Grades 9-12)|
|G-Suite email account is limited to only SD61 domains (@sd61learn.ca and @sd61.bc.ca)||G-Suite email account has no sender restrictions|
|Google Drive (unlimited storage, including docs, sheets, slides, forms, and drawing)||Google Drive (unlimited storage, including docs, sheets, slides, forms, and drawing)|
|Ability to share data is set to private by default||Ability to share data is set to private by default|
|Google Drive is limited sharing to only SD61 domains
Google sites – classic and new – is limited sharing to only SD61 domains
|Google Drive has no sharing restrictions
Google sites – classic and new – has no sharing restrictions
|Google Calendar and Google Classroom||Google Calendar and Google Classroom|
|Read&Write by TextHelp extension for Google Chrome||Read&Write by TextHelp extension for Google Chrome|
Privacy Impact Assessment (PIA)
A privacy impact assessment (PIA) is a tool for identifying and assessing privacy risks throughout the life cycle of a program or system. Greater Victoria School District (61) and Saanich School District (63) co-wrote a G-Suite for Education PIA in 2016 that includes responsible use guidelines, parent and student consent process, impact on personal information, risk assessments, accommodations, and other related PIA documents.
See the pages on the left for more information about these aspects of the Privacy Impact Assessment.